Tuesday, June 10, 2014

scribbler

2003 marks the year I became a writer. I joined a website,writing.com, and the stories just flowed out. Some were good, some not-so good, but the one thing they all had in common, for the most part, was they were dark. Dark in intent, dark characters, dark, dark, dark. That's a nicer way of saying they were horror stories, mostly.  I did have some 'nice' stories, too

After that momentous year, I continued to write and dream of being published novelist, although I didn't do too much to make it happen. Chicken, remember?  I didn't believe in myself like I needed to, and really, I wasn't using my talent for the glory of God at all.

I aim to change that. I've been asking the Lord to show me what He wants me to do with this writing talent He's given me, and I know He'll make it known eventually.

I don't know if I'll be writing fiction; I told someone recently that fiction is what I do best, that nonfiction wasn't something I was very good at, but what if that's not true? What if I can write truth? Wouldn't that be something? 

Not only has my writing subject changed (no more scary, evil stuff), the books I like to read has as well. Horror fiction used to be my genre of choice, but now I have no desire to read that stuff. I'm not saying I only read Christian fiction now, because like Christian music, it's hit and miss as far as quality goes. I still read a plethora of genres, because reading is my main pleasure in life. I have to be careful with that, though, because it would be easy for books to become an idol in my life. I recently learned that an idol is anything more important than God in your life. Everyone has idols; and not just one, I think.

Why has my focus changed? I think it's because I've grown closer to God, and I want to stay that way. Hard to do if you're constantly thinking of evil things and stuff like that. Philippians 4:8 says to think on pure and lovely things, and that's what I'm trying to do.

I still want to write, I'm just not sure what to do. How can I promote/market what I've already written if I'm not in love with it anymore? I know it's not crap, so why can't I stop thinking that it is?

Writing isn't easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment